River Tyne, River Police Offices
- 7 Daltons Lane
- South Shields
- Tyne & Wear
- NE33 1EX
English Heritage ID: 407503
Risk: Not at risk
- The main north elevation is of ashlar, the other 3 are of buff coloured brick with stone dressings.
- Three storeys and 3 bays.
- Vermiculated quoins.
- Crowning entablature and blocking course.
- The outer bays have bay windows through the 3 storeys, each of the 3 lights having an architrave.
- A continuous cill band at ground floor and a first floor plat band.
- The central bay is treated quite elaborately by a vertical accumulation of pediments.
- The entrance, with semi-circular fanlight has a deeply projecting segmental pediment supported on deep scrolled brackets.
- The first floor window is framed by architrave, entablature and triangular pediment.
- The frieze is inscribed AD 1886.
- Above this pediment, in place of a second floor window is set a rectangular panel into which is cut an inscription.
- The crowning feature of this centrepiece is a free-standing gable with concave sides and triangular pediment.
- It is embellished with a circular plaque bearing the coat of arms of the force.
- It is quite effective as a public building standing in a very prominent position by the river Tyne and adjacent to its impressive neighbour the former Customs House.
- Both standing symbolically by the river over which they had authority.