Old Town Hall
- The Old Town Hall
- Market Place
- South Shields
- Tyne & Wear
- NE33 1BH
English Heritage ID: 407497
Risk: Not at risk
- Built by the Dean and Chapter of Durham in the centre of the new Market Place they had laid out circa 1767.
- Ashlar with pyramidal slate roof.
- Two storeys.
- Open arcaded ground floor for use as market hall.
- Three arches on south, east and west sides on Doric columns, with square rusticated corner piers against which are set half column responds.
- A central pillar on steps which may be part of a former market cross.
- The upper floor of 3 bays to each elevation.
- A central "Venetian" window flanked on either side by a single semi-circular headed window.
- On the east and west fronts the single windows are blank.
- On the north front the centre light of the "Venetian" window contains the entrance door with fanlight over.
- The upper floor is reached by a symmetrical, double branch stone staircase under which the open market hall can be approached through a grand semi-circular arched opening.
- The roof is crowned by a square timber turret and a domed octagonal cupola.
- The building was restored in 1977.
- The hall was originally built by the Dean and Chapter as a place for holding their Manorial Courts and providing offices for their officials.
- It was sold by them in 1855 to the corporation together with the market tolls.