Council staff are now filling the 165 grit bins throughout the Borough but we would remind local people that the grit in these bins is there to assist our staff in clearing ice from roads and is not for private use.
We will consider requests for salt bins where:
- The highway is on a steep incline (with a gradient over 1 in 25)
- The highway connects to major roads or other junctions on a downward incline leading to the major road
- The highway contains severe bends
- The highway carries high levels of traffic
The decision on whether or not to provide a grit bin will be based on consideration of the location meeting 2 or more of these factors and where there is a convenient area to site the grit bin and, in the case of residential areas, where the majority of residents are in favour of the proposals to provide a grit bin.
Salt bins give us easy access to salt and may also be used by the public to treat trouble spots on minor roads, which otherwise would not be treated.
- Salt bins will be replenished at the start of the gritting season and afterwards as needed
- There is no charge for salt bins used for treating the public highway
- There is a charge to supply bins to private businesses and these are topped up on request for a fee
Bookmark this page