Bus passes for older and disabled people
If you live in Tyne and Wear and you are a disabled adult or you are over 60 years old, you may be entitled to apply for free local bus travel.
The Concessionary Travel Pass scheme is operated by Nexus and passes are free for those who qualify.
You might be entitled to a Concessionary Travel Pass if you have one of the following types of disability and you live in Tyne and Wear:
- In receipt of Disability Living Allowance (permanent higher rate mobility component - written confirmation of permanency required)
- In receipt of a blue car badge
- Blind or partially sighted
- Profoundly or severely deaf
- Without speech
- Substantially reduced ability to walk as a long term condition
- Do not have arms or have a long term loss of use of both arms
- Assessed as having a learning disability.
- Someone who has been, or would be, refused a driving licence on certain medical grounds
Before applying for the scheme, you will need to be assessed by the social care team. If you are eligible, we'll give you a Confirmation of Eligibility form to give to Nexus.
To arrange an appointment for an assessment please ring 0191 4271717
Adults over 60
If you were born on or before 5 December 1950, you can apply for your Concessionary Travel Pass immediately.
If you were born after 6 December 1950, see the table below to see when you are entitled to receive a Concessionary Travel Pass.
If your date of birth is:
Your pass will start from:
6 December 1950 to 5 January 1951
6 September 2011
6 January to 5 February 1951
6 November 2011
6 February to 5 March 1951
6 January 2012
6 March to 5 April 1951
6 March 2012
6 April to 5 May 1951
6 May 2012
6 May to 5 June 1951
6 July 2012
6 June to 5 July 1951
6 September 2012
6 July to 5 August 1951
6 November 2012
6 August to 5 September 1951
6 January 2013
6 September to 5 October 1951
6 March 2013
6 October to 5 November 1951
6 May 2013
6 November to 5 December 1951
6 July 2013
6 December 1951 to 5 January 1952
6 September 2013
If you were born after 5 January 1952, you will become eligible for a pass in late 2013 under the current guidelines. For more information, see the Nexus and Directgov websites (links below).
Bookmark this page