The Project for Looked After Children's Education - The PLACE
The Project for Looked After Children's Education (The PLACE) team is dedicated to supporting the educational achievement of looked after children.
The team includes a specialist teacher, a senior education welfare officer, project workers and project mentors. They:
- monitor attainment, progress and attendance
- provide individual support in learning, attendance or behaviour
- train Designated Teachers and carers
- build capacity in schools so that they are more able to intervene and support children and young people
- provide advice Personal Education Plans (PEPs)
- work with other colleagues and agencies inside and outside the Borough to support looked after children
- Narrow the attainment gaps between looked after children and their peers.
- Enable looked after children to make good progress
- Improve the attendance of looked after children
- Liaise with the Designated Teacher
- Celebrate the achievement of our looked after children
- Ensure every looked after child has a high quality Personal Education Plan which identifies the actions and support to be provided;
- Deliver training to schools, Designated Teachers, carers and partner agencies
Annual celebration of achievement
Celebrating success is an important part of the our corporate parenting ethos. Every year we organise a Celebration of Achievement Event at the beginning of the academic year. Every school aged looked after child is invited to attend, where they are formally recognised for a positive contribution they have made at home, school or in the community. Those who are unable to attend receive a certificate and a reward.
Simonside Lodge also hosts meetings of the Children in Care Council.
Bookmark this page