The council does not offer a collection service for asbestos.
We will accept asbestos from residents if it has come from their own domestic property.
There is a skip available at Middlefields Depot and you must arrange a time to deliver the waste to us.
You can do this by contacting Community Services on 0191 427 2064.
Access to the skip is available during the following hours:
Monday to Friday: 8am to 4pm & Saturday: 8am to 11.30am
It is important that you take great care when handling or transporting potentially dangerous materials.
If the asbestos is in good condition, it is advisable to leave it untouched and monitor its condition at regular intervals.
You should advise anyone working near it not to disturb, damage or drill into it.
When handling or working with asbestos, the following points are for your guidance:
- Isolate all electrical equipment and cut the electrical supply where work is to be undertaken.
- Make sure the asbestos is kept wet to help avoid producing dust.
- Do not use power tools, use hand tools instead
- Do not drill, saw, cut, disturb, scrape or sand the asbestos.
- Refrain where practicable from breaking it up. Most asbestos such as roofing material will come off in whole sheets.
- When transporting asbestos ensure that it is tightly sealed in a strong plastic bag or wrapped in polythene sheeting. Double bagging the asbestos is preferable.
- Wear an approved safety mask (CE marked to EN149 with FFFP3 Particulate filters), disposable gloves and overalls.
- Dispose of all gloves, overalls and mask in the same bags as the asbestos
- Do not clear particles with a domestic vacuum cleaner
Bookmark this page